Our laptops are not just gadgets anymore, but they have become our travel companions too. They are part of each journey that we embark upon, leading to all the more threats to its safety. The most common being sip-slip-blunder aka accidental water spillage on your laptop. Spilling liquid on your laptop might seem catastrophic, but you can save your good old precious device if you act quickly. Therefore, to ensure the continuance of your laptop use the following tips to can clean the water spillage and protect your laptop from further damage.
Simple steps to save your laptop after water spillage:
- Firstly, turn off your device. Time plays a crucial role in this situation, so if you don’t react actively such spillages can cause a lot of harm to the device. Therefore, go ahead and force shut down your laptop. Remove the battery if possible because if the spilt liquid reaches battery, it can cause a short circuit.
- Now, remove all the external peripheral devices like external drives, external NICs, removable hard drives, etc. Believe me, you wouldn’t want anything attached to your laptop for further damage.
- To salvage the situation, in a nimble yet careful manner, blot up extra liquid using a soft lint-free cloth. But don’t use it in a wiping motion, just try to soak up the liquid. As wiping hard can push the water deep into laptop crevices.
- Try to soak up any liquid that may have gotten to the removable media.
- Now, gently tilt the laptop from side to side to drain out any excess liquid present on it. It is better not to shake your device harshly.
- Place your laptop upside down on a flat surface to remove water from any wet surface you couldn’t reach during the cleaning process.
- If still the spillage persists, use a blow dryer on the lowermost setting or a can of compressed air to get the moisture out of all the nooks and corners. Leave your laptop upside down in an airy room for further drying.
- It is better to pay attention to keyboards, and all the removed devices. You can use a blow dryer or compressed air to clear them out.
- You can leave your laptop for drying from about 1hr to 24 hrs.
- Once your laptop has had enough of the drying time, you can re-secure all the removable components and try to boot up your laptop. If the booting process goes smoother, you can try to run apps and programs or do anything to ensure that everything works properly.
- If the startup process is troublesome, then it is better to seek an expert opinion. Take your laptop to a certified repair shop.
Important life-saving tips:
- Without professional instructions, it is better not to take apart the casing. This can further lead to internal damage and loss of warranty.
- You are lucky, it was just water spillage that is easiest to clean up in a laptop. It is just a matter of quick and calculates reaction to ensure water doesn’t reach the internal components of your laptop.
- Other liquids with lower fluidity like sugar-based fluids make the matter sticky and difficult to clean up. They can also pose an erosion causing a threat to delicate parts of the laptop. For sugary-liquids, it is better to use a warm cloth to wade off the stickiness.
If it scares you to take the matter into your hands out of fear of further damage, wait no further. Consult our expert repair services ASAP. We assure you to provide you quality services at a reasonable price.